Skip to main content

The Help

In class we watched a movie called The Help. This movie is a drama film that was made in 2011. It was directed by Tate Taylor. Its setting took place in Mississippi during the 1960s. The plot, was about a group of maids who were African American. Their jobs were taking care of children and helping care for them. One of the white women in the movie begins to write a book about the bad situations that the maids have been in. The book was later published, but the maids remained anonymous. 

In my opinion, it is good a book like this was written. It helps bring light into these situations that probably a lot of other African American maids go through. I understand why the maids wanted to remain anonymous, because who knows the backlash they could get. Although, I do find it inspiring that the maids did not want any credit in a book they helped create. They decided to focus on the issue and main point of the book, instead of getting fame and attention from it. 

I did enjoy this movie and would recommend everyone to take the time to sit and watch it. It was personally my favorite movie so far that we have watched here at the summer advantage. The Help was definitely a good movie to watch to end the class and topic about the First Amendment. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jim Crow Era - The Red Summer

The Red Summer became the peek of growing tensions that surrounded the great migration of African Americans from the South into the cities of the North. An African American drowned at Lake Michigan soon after he violated the unofficial segregation Chicago’s beaches and was stoned by a group of white boys. This all took place on July 27, 1919. The police refused to take arrests towards to white men who caused it. This sparked a huge riot between black and white gangs. These riots concentrated on the South Side throughout the neighborhoods. The riots eventually ended on August 13. 15 whites, 23 blacks were killed, and over 500 people were injured. This also resulted in 1,000 black families losing their  homes.  

Abraham Lincoln on Slavery

I Abraham Lincoln was born on February 12, 1809 in Hodgenville Kentucky. My family and I moved to southern Indiana and worked constantly to support my family. When I entered politics, I soon won the election to the U.S House of Representatives in 1846. At that time I was not popular with Illinois voters, because of my beliefs against the Mexican-American War. In 1860, I won the election as the 16th president of the U.S over a divided democratic party. Douglas represented this party. I was reelected in 1864, which was a hard election for me to win. This time was also when I freed the slaves. My assassination later took place on April 15, 1865. I was only 42 days into my second term.  I grew up in a world where slavery was present and racism flourished. I did not know what should be done about slavery in America. I contemplated freeing the slaves and sending them back to their own native land called Liberia. I am not someone who criticizes the Southerners. African Americans in my eyes I

Glory Movie

"Glory" is a war  movie  about the first African-American fighting unit of the American Civil War. It is a true story based off of the 54th Massachusetts Regiment. The blacks in "Glory" were viewed as men who were not considered good soldiers. The unit redeemed themselves by fighting a Confederate fort in Charleston, South Carolina. The attack was brutal, but the troops continued to march forward in the bloodiest battle. They proved society that they can fight proudly in battle and can be just as patriotic as white men.  I enjoyed the lesson of history in "Glory". I was never taught about this historical moment in high school, so I was grateful to have watched this movie in my seminar class here at High Point University. These men were so proud to wear that blue uniform and accepted the racism Americans and the other white soldiers gave them. One of my favorite scenes, was when they protested about their payment that was less than other soldiers. Robert Sh